Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Thursday of Easter Week




On the night of Jesus' garden-arrest, Peter pretended not to know Jesus. Maybe he was depressed because sometime after Easter morning, Peter and his friends went back to their old job of fishing. They met Jesus on the beach where he surprised them with a great catch of fish and breakfast.

Then Jesus asked, "Peter, do you love me? Do you love me? Do you love me more than all the others?" And each time Peter, undoing his earlier denials, affirmed  his love for Jesus, And with each affirmation,  Jesus gave him a new job: "Feed my lambs. Take care of my sheep. Feed my sheep." (John 21:1-23) 

Of course, even though the picture above charms us (I couldn't resist its tenderness) Jesus isn't talking about animals, but people. We've all got a Jesus-given-job. Maybe I haven't had a talk with him about this in a long time.