Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Wednesday of Easter Week




Here is the apostle Thomas who before Good Friday asked Jesus, "Lord, we do not know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"  (John 14:5) Thomas doesn't understand, so he asks a question. But as always Jesus uses someone's question to teach us. He answers, "I am the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6) 

Often I don't understand. I don't understand  why there is such violence and suffering in the world. I don't understand how we can allow so many people to live in crushing poverty while our own country now sells an eight pound hamburger. Often people  don't understand the meaning of their lives and they search haphazardly, dangerously and superficially. 

But like Thomas, I can ask the risen Jesus any question. Jesus doesn't scold for asking. But once I have asked the question I must wait quietly, and many of us can't do that. Only then will I be able to hear Jesus' answer of presence, encouragement, invitation and love.