Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Holy Acarius, Pray for Us




O Holy Acarius,
how wonderful to discover your patronage, 
living as I do in a world of
*difficult personalities - 
people who are irksome, tiresome,
annoying, irritating.
And so I pray...

For the people who are always
critical of others,
complaining,
negative,
boastful,
meddlesome,
troublemaking,
overbearing,
tale-carrying,
Holy Acarius, pray for us.

For the power grabbing,
snobbish,
pretending,
manipulating,
ignorant (but know-it-all),
partisan,
foolish,
name dropping people.
Holy Acarius, pray for us.

For those who play the victim,
the big-mouthed.
the dirty-mouthed,
the social climbing,
bullying,
aggressive,
dangerous,
scheming.
money-grubbing people.
Holy Acarius, pray for us.

For those who are ungrateful,
entitled,
lazy,
lying,
hypochondriac,
inauthentic,
ideological,
bossy,
nosey,
too-good-to-be-true cheery.
Holy Acarius, pray for  us.


But really, Holy Acarius,
while I ask for help in this world of difficult personalities -
that I would love people as I find them
or as they may become -
I pray all the more for myself,
who is undoubtedly irksome in some way to someone else,
for God to change me in ways that are presently
unknown to me - 
even unimaginable. Amen



*I put this litany prayer together after having asked a half dozen people, "What comes to mind when you hear the words 'difficult personalities?'"