Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

O Jesus, I Have Promised





The text for this lovely hymn was written by John E. Bode (1816-1874). The tune was composed by William H. Ferguson (1874-1950) to celebrate the Confirmation of his son and daughter in 1866. The hymn is described as a "warm and personal expression of Christian commitment giving musical expression to St. John's Gospel 12:15-26 where Jesus says, "If anyone serve me, let him follow me, and where I am, there shall also my servant be."

One critic writes that the hymn is too personal, failing to mention  our membership in a larger Christian community and that the verses do not reflect that God has known us long before we have known God. But I would say it is unfair to expect a hymn, or poem, or book to say everything.

Let's contemplate these faces of Jesus as we listen carefully, and enjoy the gifts which poet and composer have shared with us. Oh, that our hearts would be changed for knowing and following Christ.


O Jesus, I have promised
To serve thee to the end:
Be thou forever near me,
My Master and my friend; 
I shall not fear the battle,
If thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway, 
If thou wilt be my guide.

O let me hear thee speaking
In accents clear and still,
Above the storms of passion,
The murmurs of self will;
O speak to reassure me,
To hasten or control;
O speak, and make me listen,
Thou guardian of my soul.

O Jesus, thou hast promised 
To all who follow thee,
That where thou art in glory
There shall thy servant be;
And, Jesus, I have promised
To serve thee to the end;
O give me grace to follow,
My Master and my friend.