Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Helianthus Annuus Facing The Sun's Rising




These Sunflowers (Helianthus Annuus) are blooming at the retreat house now. They are facing the sun as it rises over the nearby hills. A kind of interface. I found this prayer in an English cathedral when I was a young seminarian:

O Christ our Savior, shed your light upon the path I have to tread, that I may keep it without stumbling and without faltering and come in the end to see you face to face in the heavenly kingdom. Amen.

The words face to face seem to be particularly important: that in my dying and rising with Christ I would experience an interface which will heal me and make me whole. That's why in eastern icons the figures depicted, even though their bodies might be turned, look at the viewer, face to face. 


Christ Pantocrator ~ Hagia Sophia ~ Istanbul

When we're dishonest someone might say, look at me or look me in the eye. When we're ashamed, we put our heads down. But in Christ, God has interfaced in light with each of us and all of us. It begins here - this side of heaven.

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful little prayer. We should remember to say it every day. Christ lighting our way to salvation. I pray that my stumbles might be slight and that I would be easily uprighted along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of our stumbles are easy - like babies learning to walk - we're on our feet again quickly, our mothers bidding us to take another step. Soon we're running!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for responding. It is reassuring to know that you give these comments some thought and additional advice.

      Delete
    3. I like this part of the blog very much - so long as the conversation stays positive and helpful. Much of what I see elsewhere online gets contentious and nasty very quickly. Anything can become ugly. Polarization runs deep. God be with you!

      Delete
  2. Is it possible to be healed after death? What happens if we are to die before truly finding Christ in our lives? I think I would be ashamed to look Christ in the eye if I hadn't properly atoned for my wrongdoings in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be healed after death? I expect that's what purgatory is. We tend to think of it only in terms of our punishing. C.S. Lewis likens purgatory to that childhood experience of mother wetting a tissue on her tongue and erasing the smudges on our faces before entering the presence of company. God - motherlike. But maybe some of us will need a good scrubbing too. But also our being healed and made whole - why not?

      Delete