Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pondering October Aspens




This is an Aspen Grove with snow on Soapstone Summit in the Uinta Mountains, Utah. It's said that Aspens are the largest living organism on earth because all the trees in a grove are really one, each connected to the others by lateral roots.

Aspens delight us twice when we're near them: each leaf attached to a long, flat stem, causes the trees seemingly to tremble or quiver in a breeze. This quaking of many thousands of leaves produces a clicking sound that is pleasant and comforting. Get-atta-here, there's even a name for this leaf-shivering: psithurism.

Maybe the Prophet Isaiah had groves of trembling Aspens in mind when he wrote this verse. 

For you will go out with joy and be led forth in peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah, 55:12

When Isaiah writes, "You will be led out" he is thinking of the Jews being led out from their exile and brought safely by God to a new place. We might consider our own inner exile and discovering ourselves anew after some time of loss, disconnect or loneliness. 

Here's Gordy Thomas' audio/visual ode to Aspens. Nice song. Amazing photos of these wonderful trees: a piece of our paradise planet. 



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful imagery. You are full of metaphors! Also, I didn't know that about the sound of the Aspen leaves quaking. How wonderful to think that all those trees live in unison and produce a harmonious sound. As we should live on this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember Mother Teresa used to say, "Do something beautiful for God." If the trees "get it" we ought to all the more. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father, you have led me out of some of my darkest days. I look here for encouragement when I am down. Sometimes I wonder why I should care at all, but then I read a your posts and I get your words: God loves us, no matter what, in all our faults and in all our failures, just as we would love our own children. I have been discovering myself anew and I see myself passing this new found spirit being passed on to those around me. The message I hear the loudest is that we should carry on to the best of our ability to be the best person we can be within our means and be kind and loving to those in our lives. Forgive and love all. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good to me. Sad when we think we need to make Christianity heady, dense and complicated. Have a good week. Enjoy what's left of the colored leaves. And then when they are all fallen, to enjoy all the shades of gray in the bare trees. Let's stay encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trees burst out against the majestic mountain backdrops. As summer has ended and we are into Autumn, the leaves drop all around us, like tongues of red and orange flames. Sometimes a tree is a little later than the others, but with patience it readies itself for winter also. Changes of season taking place in nature and within ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is what I think is a wild raspberry growing under some Hemlocks here along the edge of the woods. It has turned intense shades of pink. I'll put it up just to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you live in Florida you tend to forget how beautiful the changes of seasons are. A sight to behold. You renew my faith each week as I reflect on the posts you put here. There is always something new to think about and things I can work on changing or improving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope no one feels "left out" because I live in the Northeast where there's this rich seasonal life. I've been to Florida a number of times and imagine that if I were a resident there I'd be thinking and talking about the wonderful bio-diversity found there. The wonders are everywhere. Thanks for following these posts. My favorite place in Florida is the LaLeche Shrine in St. Augustine - where the first Mass was celebrated on the continent. The Spanish were in Florida thirty years before Plymouth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One could ponder the beauty of these Aspens all day long. And the miracle of their contentedness to each other. They are all in it together and help each other have life. Wonderful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "They are all in it together." Yes! In fact, the aspen is considered the largest living organism on the planet because each grove is really one plant sharing a common root. Isn't that wondeful!

    ReplyDelete