Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Paramythia Mother of God ~ Night Prayer




This is the 8th century Paramythia Icon of the Mother of God -Comforter. She has her own side-chapel in the Vatopedi Monastery on Mt. Athos in Greece.

It is night. The monks have retired for their rest. The priest has left his stole hooked onto the icon's frame. There are a few candles we may light and a chair to the right where we may sit peacefully for awhile at the end of our own day. A small rug has been placed on the floor before the wonder-working icon where we may kneel or even touch our forehead to the floor. We can feel the silence of this inviting space.

O Lady, 
gratitude for this day ~
  its gift of life,
  energy and stamina,
for the food and water that have sustained me,
for the beautiful and the good I have
  seen or heard,
  tasted or touched,
for the clarity and strength to make any right choice,
for every awareness of God's nearness,
for the love of others ~ love given and received,
for any inspiration and movement towards 
  justice and charity,
for the help of others
  in my weakness,
  my loneliness,
  my indecision,
  anxiety,
  doubt,
  sorrow or sickness.

And O Lady,
Comforter,
I pray for those who are sleepless,
  who will work through this night,
  who keep us safe,
  who rescue others,
  who work in hospitals,
  who tend to children,
for those whose night is ruined with arguing
  and even violence,
for those who stay awake to watch over the dying,
for the children born tonight,
for those away from loved ones,
for wanderers without home or bed,
for night-travelers,
for mourners and those whose night is tear-filled.

Bless my own night time rest now,
may I have a sweet-dream,
and bring me to tomorrow ready and renewed.
Amen.