Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Another Prayer Before the Holy Shroud


The Entombment ~ Garafalo ~ 1520



Another Prayer Before the Holy Shroud

I call upon Holy Joseph of Arimathea,
    who supplied the shroud for Jesus,
    to safeguard me in faith.

I call upon Holy Nicodemus,
   who unfolded the shroud for Jesus,
   to secure me in hope.

I call upon the Holy Apostle John, 
   who gripped the edge of the shroud, 
   to protect me this day.

I call upon the Holy Mother of God, 
   who kissed the shroud,
   to increase love within me.

I call upon the Holy Three Marys, 
   who placed flowers in the shroud,
   to keep us on our feet,
through the dark time.

I call upon and stand among,
the un-named witnesses
of Jesus' burial,
asking - may we lead God-formed lives.



Father Stephen P. Morris