Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Prayer for the Kindling of the Flame






No luck in finding the name of the artist who painted this picture. I only see it indirectly referred to as: Woman's work, tending the fire. Someone (maybe even a disgruntled modern day woman) might say, "Yeah, that's all women are good for." But tending the hearth meant life for a Celtic family. The hearth was the place of the family's gathering, the place of warmth and prayer, where food was prepared. Tending the hearth meant the family was alive, safe and together.

It's said that there are still a few Celtic homes where the hearth-fire has not gone out for centuries. Just before the family retires for the night, the embers are gathered up into a cone. Early the next morning the mother spreads the embers which are still alive, and adding new fuel, kindles the flame. 

Here is a Celtic prayer a friend sent which not only understands that process (in using the word kindle) but also the symbolism of the hearth's flame. We might use the prayer when lighting a candle.


This morning, as I kindle the fire of my hearth,
I pray the flame of God's love may burn in my heart
and in the hearts of all I meet today.

I pray that no envy or malice,
no hatred or fear,
may smother the flame. 
I pray that indifference and apathy, 
contempt and pride, 
may not pour like cold water on the fire.

Instead, may the spark of God's love
light the love in my heart, 
that it may burn brightly through the day.

And may I warm those who are lonely,
whose hearts are cold and lifeless, 
so that all may know
the comfort of God's love.