Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Psalm 151 ~ An Alphabet Psalm of Spring Praises



I suggested in Tuesday's post that we can all compose our own psalm. So I did just that. I used the alphabet as a kind of infrastructure and the sights and sounds of spring as my theme. But while I'm calling it a psalm, I don't use the words God or Lord or even praise. I simply hold all of this in my heart as I stand in the Spring's God-given day.  Saint Kateri Tekakwitha prayed more with her eyes (nose and ears) than with her mouth. 

"My heart overflows with a goodly theme as I sing my ode to the king." Psalm 45:1

April means to open ~ new consciousness.

Berries ~ and gratitude for those who through aching labor pick them for me.

Cardinal ~ not the prelate, but the elegant garden songster.

Dogwood ~ a white, wide-armed, bird-welcoming one grew outside my church.

English Daisies ~ cottage garden fantasy.

Fawns and lambs, cubs and kits, hatchlings and calves.

Goldfinch stitching heaven and earth in undulating flight.

Hummingbird whose appearing always comes as surprise.

Iris ~ garden grown or stylized, medieval symbol of Our Lady.

Junco ~ dark-eyed, slate colored, white-winged avian.

King of Marigolds from Africa *

Leaf mold ~ nature's gift for the lightening of my soil.

Migratory birds ~ Have you some intelligence you'd rather keep to yourselves?

Nozzle ~ spray or wide-angle, mist or piercing jet.

Open branching every tree. *

Passionflower hinting at Christ's bright wounds.

Quince barely budded. *

Rain ~ soft as the Irish say.

Silencing scent of damask rose.

Tea-kettle, tea-kettle, tea-kettle tea ~ Carolina Wren's all day song.

Ukraine ~  may the happiness of Spring return to you.

Viburnum for butterflies, bees and birds.

Worms fill the ground with air.

Xylem ~ summoning water up from roots.

Yellow-fevered Dandy Lions. *

Zinnia ~ color-pop, charm and joy.

* Indicates the collaborative gift of my soul sister.