Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Psalm 41 ~ A Poetic Rendition

 

Ukrainian mass grave ~ "a wound to the very Heart of Love."

Here is Nan Merrill's poetic rendition of Psalm 41. She has re-presented the psalms in a way that connects the ancient text to a contemporary mind. She does not suggest her expansive translations preclude the traditional text, but that those translations be kept at hand. Might I suggest reading the psalm twice: once in the larger font and then perhaps a second time with my own thoughts in the smaller italic font.


Who among us hears the cry of the poor? (At the end of Mass a man said to me, "I'm so sick of hearing about them — the poor.")

How many open their hears (Is my heart closed to anyone? Am I okay with that?)

and heed the Call? — (Capital C. God is a call, an invitation,)

The plight of the world is a wound

to the very Heart of Love,

a scar on our own souls. (The way we treat our world wounds God's heart.)

Blessed are those who lovingly respond!


The Friend, who knows all hearts, (But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said, "Why do yo entertain evil thoughts in our hearts?" Mt. 9:4)

will remember their kindness. (We often think God remembers only our faults and sins.)

they will know joy, peace, and deep

fulfillment working in harmony

with all who serve toward healing

the needs of this troubled world. (Lovely — to work with God in healing our world.)


"As for me, I prayed, 'O Soul-Mender, (Can you name for yourself, God as soul-mender?)

be gracious unto me.

For I have been deaf to those in need; (Are we tired of hearing about Ukraine already?)

my fears paralyzed me. (Are we afraid of justice because it might mean I may have to do without something?)

I am bound like a prisoner held

in my own house,

alone and abandoned.

Each fear I push away or deny (Pushing fear away: like the little monkey with his hands over eyes and ears.)

rises up with power;

feeling anxious, lies and deceit

take the place of truth.

I can hide no longer; my confusion,

the way I blame others, (We learn to blame others at a very early age.)

have turned even my friends away.'


O Divine Healer, help me face the fears

that threaten to overwhelm; (Are there fears I'd call overwhelming?)

without your guidance, they will

bring about what I most fear! (O Christ our Savior, shed your light upon the path I have to tread.)

I am on my knees asking forgiveness; (The desert monk kneels to write his sins in the sand.)

give me strength to turn all (This is true religion, that each day I change if even in some small way.) 

that separates me from You

into love and kindness. (The Dali Lama says that  religion is kindness. Are we forgetting kindness?)

You who are Unconditional Love, You

do not judge our weaknesses;

raise me up, that I may be renewed (This is what Eucharist is supposed to do for us! Yes?)

in body, mind, and soul! (There are folks who don't want God's love to be unconditional. They usually feel this way about the weaknesses of others.) 


"By this I know that You have

graciously forgiven me; (The desert monk returns later to see the sins he'd written in the sand have been blown away.)

fear did not triumph over me,

though my heart was broken open

so the light could enter in. (A broken heart can become a source of compassion for others)

You upheld me, filled me with integrity, (Can I name a time when I've felt God holding me up?)

and opened my heart to the poor. (I asked a man who was struggling to examine his conscience, "Do you do anything for the poor?" "Not much," he honestly and quickly answered.)


Blessed be the Beloved, loving Presence (Someone complained about calling God Beloved. Why? Not manly?)

to all hearts open to Love,

from everlasting to everlasting!

Amen. (Dag Hammarskjold wrote: "People often thing that the basic command of religion is 'Do this!' or 'Don't do that!' It isn't. It's look and wonder! learn to give attention to the world around  you.")