Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Intercessions for Thanksgiving Day

The touch of Jesus


At Thanksgiving,/ and as we begin the holiday season/ we pray for a peaceful world/ and the conversion of human hearts to the things of non-violence,/ reconciliation and justice./ We pray to the Lord.


We pray for our country at Thanksgiving./ We ask for those in government to work together well for the good of all./ We pray to the Lord.


At Thanksgiving/ praying for our families/ we ask for them to be built-up in faith./For our families to remain in safety and good health./ We hold in our prayer any who are burdened,/ anxious or suffering./ We pray to the Lord.


We pray for those who feel no gratitude today,/ and for those who will spend Thanksgiving serving others who have very little or nothing./We pray to the Lord.


We pray for those who are visiting with us this week/ for those who are returning home for the holiday and for anyone who is away./ With grateful hearts we pray for anyone who has helped us or done us any kindness./ We pray to the Lord.


We pray for the sick at Thanksgiving,/ mindful of anyone who will spend the holiday in the hospital./ We pray for their families and friends/ and for those who have to work on Thanksgiving./ We pray to the Lord.


Finally we pray for those who have died since last Thanksgiving/ and for all the dead/ asking for them to enjoy the gift of life which Jesus has prepared for us./ We pray to the Lord.

5 comments:

  1. For all these things we pray. Thank you for these. Little reminders of what we may be thankful for. I am thankful for my family and friends both near and far. There are many people who will be alone this Thanksgiving, neglected or rejected for one reason or another. For them I will offer a prayer at mass on Thanksgiving Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much for us to be thanful for, even the most mundane things. Food on the table, clothes on our backs, roof over our heads. We pray to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Thankful ParishionerNovember 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM

    Dear Father Stephen,
    It is by chance that we met you, but I am thankful that we did. Although our encounters were short, you had a profound impact on my life. I was not a lapsed Catholic, but I had lost that sense of believing. You inspired by to approach my faith with a deeper consciousness, and to believe in my prayers. Your physical presence may have been brief, but your lessons have been and continue to be instilled in me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I thank God for all the profoundly good people I've met along the way! I expect it's an old Irish-ism - my dad would say, "Keep the faith!"

      Delete
  4. I am truly thankful for many things, including your presence which guides me and keeps my faith strong. I will remember all the people who are not so blessed with family and friends, who may live in poverty or with abuse. That they may have faith that better things lie ahead. To feel the touch of Jesus in their lives.

    ReplyDelete