In the West we need to pay more attention to monks and what their lives can teach us. Most monks follow the ancient rule of Saint Benedict. The lives of monks tell us:
- That we can live at peace with each other, though we come from many places
- That the spiritual life invites us to a continual turning to the higher things - the better way
- That even the most hardened heart and stubborn mind can change
- That we can live happily in great simplicity - without so much stuff
- That we grow best when rooted in God's Word as listeners first
- That so much moving about from this to that causes inner trouble
- That to be free we need to be free of hatred.
And monks love the Mother of Jesus, Mary, who creates an atmosphere around the person of Christ, inviting contemplation and inner tranquility.
These Spanish monks are singing a Latin sequence (poem-prayer) for a Feast of Mary or today, in Mary's month of May.