Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pentecost Sunday





In the Hebrew Scriptures God's presence is often revealed by fire. A voice from the Burning Bush commissions Moses. The Pillar of Fire in the night sky leads the Hebrews through the desert. Mount Sinai is covered with lightning. 

Forests that burn are often old, diseased, infected, dried out and overgrown. But a year or two afterwards, it is all green again from the ground up - fresh, new and full of life! 

What might my life look like - indeed, what would the Church look like - if we allowed God's fiery Word to have its way with what is old, tired, dried out and useless within us? 

8 comments:

  1. Let the Holy Spirit descend upon me and burn me so that I might begin again. I want to feel full of life go forth and carry God's love within me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even those with the most evil inside them can be saved if they allow the Holy Spirit to fill them. We must never give up on those who need God the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have truly enjoyed your posts leading up to Pentecost. And today's post is wonderful also. I pray that the flame of the Holy Spirit burns brightly in me. Thank you for your wisdom and thoughtful reflections Father Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life from the dead ashes. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your choice of picture. That even from complete destruction, life springs eternal. There is hope for everyone who believes in the gifts of the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hear of great forest fires I am always upset at the lost of plant and animal life. But then I remember that the forest will restore itself. In truth, there are some kinds of pine cones which only open and release their seeds by fire. Amazing heh?

      Delete
  6. I hope you had a blesses Pentecost Father Stephen Morris. You are a great inspiration to my faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes. It was a lovely day.

      Delete