Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

It's Already Spring!


Magnolias Autumn Buds

Putting the garden to bed this time of year: washing tools and reorganizing the shed, bringing in clay pots to keep them from cracking with the ice, heaping up spent vines on the compost heap. But also planting bulbs and green manure. Digging in the new grasses I found at the nursery end-of-season 40% off sale! And watching and observing ~ the leaves of trees, the birds, the sky, the animals, the temperatures, the sun's light, the berries...

Then my sister sent four 12th century Japanese poems about the four seasons and suddenly I discovered one of them present of actualized in my garden here. So I wrote my own 21st century, Starlight, Pennsylvania version. Just a few lines.

Bay Magnolia's buds are set,
Winter Rye is scattered,
Blue Grass roots are settling in,
Spring is here already.

The spring or new life is already present in the buds, the seeds, the roots ~ and in my imagination, energy, personal history, creative possibilities and potentiality. The discoveries may well take time; we might need some help, but there's no shame in that.

Even in the old wounds, the personal misfortune or upset, the resolution, insight, growth, learning, are already present. Often it is so close we don't see; we miss it. 

We might try to catch an idea or inspiration that passes through our minds. Seize it! Write it down! We're getting older, we can lose it in a moment. And then hold the idea and let it ferment a bit: to write, to compose, to work in a new way with any kind of material: flour, dreams, watercolor, paper and pen, soil and seeds, fabric, clay, journaling. Maybe it's a book that's been sitting for too long, waiting to be read.

10 comments:

  1. Gives hope even as the darkness of winter is approaching. Spring is always present if we know where to look for it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And HOPE is the theological virtue that says: I believe God is going to act. It's not wishing.

      Delete
  2. Father, you always plant the seed of thought in us. You are my spiritual gardener. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiritual gardener - I like that. A parish priest's day is most busy in the morning and then again in the evening after folks are home from work. There's often some down time in the early afternoon. So when I was a young priest I'd go to work in my garden which was behind the parochial school. One teacher said to me, "All the kids in this school know about you is that you're the gardener priest." She didn't mean it as a compliment. And not fair because I was often in classrooms, nevertheless, I thought "Better to be known as the gardener-priest than as the fancy car priest, or the boozy priest, or the money priest, or worse." So, "spiritual gardener" - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring brings light and hope. You have a way of cultivating that in me all year long. Your posts mix challenge with education. A balance between realizing the struggles of the world and our own interior battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm grateful for your following the posts and bless your inner work.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful suggestions for achieving a more emotionally satisfying place. You always have great ideas. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I just don't like myself very much. And I feel as though the world is against me. I find some sense of peace here. So maybe you are the spiritual gardener Father Stephen and I am a slow growing plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in awhile perhaps there's a burst of growth, but as a rule I'd say, we're all slow growing. My prayer is: "Oh Jesus, at least before I die, let me get this right." It takes a long time for an apple or a tomato to ripen. God is pleased for even our little insight or growth. Be encouraged!

      Delete
  7. Father, I am happy for your blog and want to say thank you for your posts which offer us spiritual nourishment. The seeds you planted have taken root in me. And although I try to remember to check the blog for new posts, life is busy, so I thank you also for the morning reminders. A necessity for those of us who are always on the run. You seem to understand what we need. I wish you many blessing as I feel you have blessed me.

    ReplyDelete