Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Intercessions ~ Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time




We pray for the people of Paris today,/ and all of France,/ and all of Europe,/ and of all the world./ We pray for those who died in Friday night's terror,/ and for the wounded,/ their families/ and the helpers and rescuers./  We pray to the Lord.

Something is very wrong in our relationship with guns that every month dozens of the nation's children die by gun violence and accident./ We boldly ask for heaven's help to set us right./ We pray to the Lord.

In the past sixty-five years our Church has spent over four billion dollars in the sex abuse scandal./ We ask God to forgive the sins which have brought about this waste/ and to correct the Church where it has taken a wrong path./ We pray to the Lord.

Jesus has told us he wants our joy to be complete./  We pray for those who have no experience of joy,/ those who live with chronic pain,/ those over-whelmed with weakness and need./ We pray to the Lord.

We call to mind loved-ones who are sick physically/ or sick with fears,/ anger,/ despair or hate./ We pray for their healing and restored energies./ We pray to the Lord.

We pray to know the wonder of  life in this moment of prayer,/ to be truly alive/ without negativity and anxiety,/ without demands,/ judgments and greed./ We pray to the Lord.

And we entrust all of the dead to Jesus/ who shows us the Father's love,/ remembering those who have died in the Sinai Desert,/ and in Beirut and in violent places around the world./  We pray to the Lord.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for your prayers Father Stephen. Each week I look for these intercessions to guide my thoughts when I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank YOU for joining in the prayer. Someone called these intercessions "non-sterile" "non-clorox" - that is - they're not bleached out and antiseptic. That's correct. It is a messy Church in a messy world. Let us pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world is in disarray. There is conflict everywhere we look. We need these prayers to spread far and wide. May God be listening and grant mercy on us all. For we surely need it now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some folks bring the weekly intercessions up on their phones and pray them in church before Mass begins. That's a good idea. Just to be sure of course, that we turn the phone off before the hymn begins! Let us pray well - and from a deeply felt place. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard not to give up on people and the events going on in the world today. Sometimes I wish I lived in another time. I feel as though I was born in the wrong era. I would much rather face the Bubonic Plague than the hatred of the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand. I visited a Franciscan monastery in the mountains of Monopello some years ago to see the relic of the Volto Santo - the Holy Face of Jesus imprinted on a cloth - perhaps the napkin that wrapped the face of Jesus in the tomb. There was a sister there who was an expert on the relic and very much interested in promoting awareness of this treasure. She was very generous with her time, explaining many things to me and encouraging me to bring the image of the Volto Santo back to the United States. But I was confused as to how the image got from Palestine, where Jesus lived, to a mountain monastery in Italy. When I asked, she answered, "Wherever there are human beings, there is sin." A nice way of saying, "It was stolen." So every time has it's hate, it's dishonesty, it's brutality, it's violence and death. Today, is when and where God has placed us. I keep looking at icons - sometimes they (and Mass) are all I have to keep me getting out of bed each day. If I stop believing in Mary and Jesus at Bethlehem, I think I'd go under. See the little candle along the right side of the blog here. I'll keep you in mind and all the others like you and myself, when I light it each morning - that we would keep the flame of faith alive! God be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, these are discouraging times, Father. Places of comfort and trust are being threatened. I don't want to let fear or anger take up my energy. Looking to God to lean on, brings such a sigh of relief. We are so fortunate to have the mass. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete