Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Mary's Magnificat and the Real Foe




In Her Magnificat (Luke 1:39-58) Mary sings: "He has used the power of his arm, he has routed the arrogant of heart." God sounds like a mighty warrior acting against the foe. But it is a smug religious mistake to think the enemy is out there for me to identify and for God to set straight. The enemy then becomes the one who I perceive to be different; who doesn't share my beliefs, values, truth; who doesn't fit the mold. 

One high profile Catholic website, claims the final report of the recent Rome Synod On The Family, "sends off to hell" all those who had hoped for some change in this or that aspect of our traditional moral teaching. It's old religion that says, "Arise...rescue me, my God. You strike all my foes across the face, you break the teeth of the wicked." (Psalm 3:7) 

But this isn't it at all. Rather, the enemy is whatever is opposed to the new commandment, "Love one another." (John 13:15) ... and that enemy is within! Hint: think fear and pride.