Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Friday, January 1, 2016

A Prayer for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God




Mother of God ~ joy restoring glance,
Mother of God ~ in our withering hopes,
Mother of God ~ who shows us favor,
Mother of God ~ my boast, my pride,
Mother of God ~ when my heart can bear no more.

Mother of God ~ in whom I find a home,

Mother of God ~ in the wintry mix of my mind,
Mother of God ~ who radiates hope,
Mother of God ~ where my prayer finds a hearing,
Mother of God ~ before the fangs of malice.

Mother of God ~ for whom mercy is kindness,

Mother of God ~ and of traumatized children,
Mother of God ~ and of us in our variety,
Mother of God ~ at the new year's start,
Mother of God ~ where hearts are armed.

Mother of God ~ in my sleeplessness,
Mother of God ~ at my inner door,
Mother of God ~ where the demon possesses,
Mother of God ~ in the depths of our error,
Mother of God ~ whose mantle hides me.

Mother of God ~ in the healing of my wound,

Mother of God ~ sweetness of face,
Mother of God ~ beloved by us,
Mother of God ~ I know your hymns by heart,
Mother of God ~ who is like a breeze.

Father Stephen Morris


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful prayer to Mary, the Mother of God, and our heavenly Mother. She accepts us as we are in all our faults and deficiencies. She guides us and protects us. I like the image of her mantle wrapped around us, protecting from the evils that surround us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us that today is a Feast Day. Too often we get caught up in the parties and celebrations of New Year's Day and forget that it is the Solemnity of Mary. Wonderful prayer. I don't know where you get the inspiration to write these prayers, but it surely is a gift from God to you to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is a gift. We can all set out like this in prayer. Let it begin with silence and observation.

      Delete
  3. Blessings to you Father Stephen at the beginning of this new year! I pray that great things will happen for you as you continue your ministry. My faith has been awakened by your teachings here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the Lord bring to completion the good thing begun in you.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I feel broken beyond repair. No matter how hard I try, I never feel good enough. Do you really think that Mary can do all these things to help us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, let me tell you that I understand everything you have said here: the brokenness, the futility, the depressed view of myself. I grew up in dysfunction, abuse and religion, which while giving me a strong sense of the presence of the invisible, didn't do much of anything to help me evolve humanly. And when I turned 35 I started to do some real hard inner work. I thought that I was headed to becoming a homeless bag man, pushing a stolen supermarket cart filled with empty cans. But that didn't happen. And all along the difficult way of this inner work the basic spiritual realities have remained. But we have to help ourselves too. And many people don't do that - they allow themselves to be victimized by their past. I won't do that anymore. So to answer your good question: Do I believe Mary can do all these things to help us? Yes. But I also believe I have a responsibility to myself and that includes some kind of professional helper. And I send you every encouragement. PS: While my analyst challenged my religious thinking which helped me to evolve and grow-it-up, she was never its enemy. That's important. Let 2016 be the year that you set out in healing your inner life. No procrastinating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fine words of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your journey. Encouraging. Happy New Year, Fr.!

    ReplyDelete