Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Prunella Vulgaris and a Prayer for Healing




As many times I've walked along this dirt road I have never (before now) laid eyes on this humble July-flowering plant whose Latin name is Prunella Vulgaris. Its everyday name is Heal-all or Self-Heal. Prunella apparently gets the more friendly name from her wide use as an herbal remedy for throat ailments. Considering the plant's ability and will to heal, what an affront to its dignity that some sources call it "a common lawn weed." Huh! Along with the plant-discovery, I've also come across this lovely healing prayer in the Anglican Book of Common Prayer. What a happy combination!


O God, our creator and preserver, we humbly beseech you for all sorts and conditions of humankind; that you would be pleased to make your ways known to us, your saving health to all nations. More especially we pray for your holy Church in every place; that it may be so guided and governed by your good Spirit, that all who profess and call themselves Christians may be led into the way of truth, and hold the faith in unity of spirit, in the bond of peace, and in righteousness of life. Finally, we commend to your fatherly goodness all those who are in any ways afflicted or distressed, in mind, body or spirit, especially those for whom our prayers are desired; that it may please you to comfort and relieve them in their necessities, giving them patience under their sufferings, and a happy way out of their afflictions. And this we beg for Jesus Christ's sake. Amen.

8 comments:

  1. We can pray for the healing of others, hoping that God will lead them to comfort and peace. But when I am left to my own suffering, my prayers don't seem to offer any relief. Why is it that we don't the get answers when we need them, and that we pray in vain when we need it for ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard this funny story years ago: In a convent of many nuns there was this old nun who was particularly snarky - always complaining, in a bad mood, angry and unwilling. But she was also seemingly always in chapel and on her knees praying. One nun said to another,"What's with her, praying, praying, praying, but so miserable. Seems kind of insincere to me." And the other nun said,"Can you imagine what she'd be like if she didn't pray as much." HA! So who knows how much worse it could be for us if through our struggles, pains and disappointments we didn't pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone just mentioned that you have a blog so I found it on Google and it is Fr. Stephen Morris through and through. Hearing your voice triggered some memories. I am not sure that is a good thing as I used to think that you just liked to hear yourself talk, giving your opinion of how things should be, even if not in line with the Gospel. To each their own. I can't argue the fact that somehow you seem to have a widespread audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well hello! You know my name, but I don't know yours or where we encountered each other over the 37 years of my priesthood. But I'm thinking: My goodness, so many and such assessments and judgments of me: "It's Father Stephen Morris through and through...not sure it's a good thing...you just liked to hear your own voice...giving your own opinions even if not in line with the gospel..." What can I say, you've got your own mind made up. But isn't it interesting, that for all your negative "takes" on me, that you would bother to look me up to see what I'm saying. So I wish you well. I wish you all good, peace and safety in a dangerous and angry world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I have to say, I love your opinions or should I say truths of how things should be! That is what I love most about you. You are loved by and missed by so many from Maria Regina. Wish you could come back and give a guest appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first parish was Saint Mary in Roslyn. Then I was a hospital chaplain and taught theology and was a chaplain to monastic sisters and a chaplain to a school for young people who'd lost their way. Then I was told I would go to Maria Regina. When I heard that name: Maria Regina (Mary the Queen) I knew there would be love there. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to understand why someone you love has to suffer so much pain. I am grateful for the many comforting prayers you bring to us to remain strong for others. Prayer is the best way. It is so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think it keeps us on our feet. There's an awful lot that wants to knock us down.

    ReplyDelete