Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, December 2, 2018

My Lord, What A Morning!




My Lord, What a Morning! is a 19th century African-American-slave spiritual. That black slaves embraced Christianity is a great wonder, considering their owners were self-avowed Christians.

The hymn repeats the line, My Lord, What a Morning, then references the end-time when the stars will fall from the sky. To be frank with you, I don't think we need to worry much about the last day: when it will occur, or what the astronomic indicators will be, so long as each day we are gratefully attentive and responsive to God's presence and action in our lives.

With the exception of the last picture, (which is my morning coffee mug), the photographs below are pictures I've come across, and which give us hints of what we might see early in the morning - at the start of a new day.

The first picture here is the icon of Our Lady of the Don. I have had my own copy since I was a boy; it is the first thing I see upon waking.

Notice each line ends with an exclamation mark. A teacher- colleague from years ago would tell the students they are surprise marks. Might I discern the "surprises" each day offers, each hour, each moment. 



My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!


My Lord, what a morning!