Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Not Just An Admirer





One of the great temptations for the Christian is that even after many years I might have allowed myself to become just an admirer.

I can admire the beauty of the old-fashioned church.
I can admire the lovely words of the prayers.
I can admire the way the organist plays.

I can admire the priest's sound theological homily.
I can admire his vestments.
I can admire how he offers the Mass.

I can admire the young family which comes to Mass faithfully.
I can admire the Pope's charity.
I can admire how excellent the choir is.

I can admire how much money the parishioners give.
I can admire how well-prepared the First Communicants are.
I can admire the altar flowers.

I can admire the stories of the saints.
I can admire that we have a singing parish.
I can admire the pictures of Jesus and Mary on the wall.

I can admire the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
  attend Mass in a Church that bears that title, 
  pray the Consecration to the Sacred Heart
  and have that picture in my home. 

But I'm supposed to have a Sacred Heart too, lest I become just an admirer. But what is a Sacred Heart? Saint Isaac the Syrian tells us.

What is a heart of mercy? It is the heart of him (her) who burns with pity for all creation. ... He looks at the creatures and his eyes are filled with tears. His heart is filled with deep compassion and limitless patience. He overflows with tenderness, and cannot bear to see or hear any evil or the least grief suffered by the creature.

I might read this paragraph again—slowly. I mean, I can read these words and simply admire how St. Isaac thought of them