Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, January 12, 2020

A Prayer During the Australian Bushfires



A few years ago, someone told me rather proudly, "I don't follow the news." I asked, "Then, how can you pray?" God has gone to a great deal of trouble to enter this world of ours in all of its sadness and trouble. How can I excuse myself from knowing about that world? I hope you follow the news, so you can pray.

Australia has been in flames for months and will be for some months to come. One Australian businessman said, "After this, Australia may well be uninhabitable." More than two dozen people have died. Hundreds of homes have been destroyed as well as vineyards and orchards. Whole towns are gone; indigenous tribes threatened. More than a billion animals have died in the flames—birds, reptiles, mammals. There is no counting the frogs, snakes, insects and plants. Upwards of ten thousand camels have been deliberately shot and killed this week because they drink too much water needed to extinguish the flames.

Here is a link to a prayer printed this week in AMERICA magazine. Click on the prayer title if you'd care to join the prayer.