Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Healing Prayer at Bedtime




These monks are at Compline, the last of the seven times they gather each day in their chapel to pray together. Most monks know Compline by heart. It is the prayer that invites the monks to briefly review the day with its twists and turns. 

All monks have a story, and living and working closely with each other, with people they would never have chosen to live, I expect there is more than a little daily damage to repair come evening. We can join them with this Healing Prayer at Bedtime. Many of us were  taught as children to "say" our bedtime prayers. Perhaps we abandoned the practice long ago. I would call this a wonder-working prayer that we may memorize before (or as) we put our own heads on the the pillow each night.

Jesus, through the power of the Holy Spirit go back into my memory as I sleep. Every hurt that has ever been done to me - heal that hurt. Every hurt that I have ever caused to another person - heal that hurt. All of the relationships that have been damaged in my whole life that I am not aware of - heal those relationships.
But Lord, if there is anything that I need to do - if I need to go to a person because he is still suffering from my hand - bring that person to my awareness. I choose to forgive and I ask to be forgiven. Remove any bitterness that may be in my heart, Lord, and fill the empty spaces with your love. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.