Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Friday, March 6, 2015

The Third Station ~ Jesus Falls the First Time




Jesus is loving us as he falls hard to the ground and the nasty crowd gets hyped up. But the word love has been sentimentalized and is now shopworn. Its shock value has been lost. 

In early 5th century Rome, the monk Telemachus rushed down into the arena of the Roman Forum, where he attempted to get between the armored gladiators. The spectators were furious for ruining their entertainment and stoned him to death. It's said that when the Emperor Honorius heard of the sacrifice Telemachus had made for love and life, he had him declared a martyr and officially put an end to combatant sports. By this they will know that you are my disciples, by your love for one another." (John 13:35)


Some silent moments


Our Father Who art in Heaven...
Hail Mary full of grace...
Glory be to the Father...

6 comments:

  1. I pray, I am not like those people, caring only about my selfish needs and wants. It does cause pain to others. Thank you for those thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still believe that many of us make sacrifices for love. Maybe not so dramatic as to run into an arena to be stoned to death, but I hate to think that our value of love in its truest sense is lost. The love of a child, the love for a spouse or a friend. There are people in life that I would do anything for and could not imagine my life without them. Maybe I am missing your point completely. I am sad to think that you think shocking acts of love is lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Telemachus story is a piece of the long story of Christianity; it needs to be told. I don't see how you draw your conclusion that I think "shocking acts of love are lost." I said that the word love is sentimentalized and shop worn and has lost it's shock value: this to a culture that spends 1.7 billion dollars on Valentine Flowers and another 16 billion on Valentine chocolate, another 1.5 billion on Valentine cards not to mention Valentine lingerie, jewelry and sex apparel, Valentine jewelry and Valentine gifts for pets. "I love your hair." I love your nails." "I absolutely love your new nose." "I love your new decor." "I love your botox treatments." "I love your new look." "I love your shoes." "I love (fill in the blank)

      Delete
    2. As I had said, I might be missing the point. I enjoy your blog Father Stephen and didn't mean any disrespect.

      Delete
    3. No disrespect felt. The world is upside down. Thank you for following the blog.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Father for these Stations. I found you Way of the Cross postings from last year and they are the best! I look forward to completing the journey with you this year. These little thoughts fill my head for the day and keep me aware that it is indeed Lent as the world rushes around us in our daily tasks. Amen.

    ReplyDelete