Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

O Domina Mea!





O Domina Mea

O my Queen! My Mother!
I give myself entirely to you;
and to show my devotion to you,
I consecrate to you this day my eyes,
my ears, my mouth, my heart,
my whole being, without reserve,
Wherefore, good Mother,
as I am your own,
keep me, guard me,
as your property and possession.

Amen.

I've seen a couple of translations of this Marian consecration, none as lovely as this, I'd say. A good prayer to know by heart: Mary in her twice-referenced Maternity, the sense of personal abandon, the dignified formality yet warm intimacy of the last line. 





And if you would like to bring your body into your prayer, this is called the Child's Pose. It is a gentle way of allowing your body to echo the prayer words. Easy to learn, there are a couple of variations for those who immediately feel, "I could never get into that position," or "If I got down like that I'd never be able to get up again."  The Child Pose also opens up the spine which carries so much of our stress.

9 comments:

  1. Lynne from LansingAugust 23, 2015 at 10:34 AM

    A beautiful prayer and icon. And a wonderful wonderful way to follow up after St. Dominic's prayer poses with a modern way of bringing body into prayer. You'very made daily prayer so meaningful and attainable. And might I add trendy with the yoga infused into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne from Lansing! So very many Americans think of their bodies negatively: weak, overweight, full of aches and pains, sick. This little yoga pose, following after the 9 prayer postures of St. Dominic might help us to change that dark view. In the Incarnation God had a body like our own. The physical body and physical things really matter, hence: the corporal (physical) works of mercy. Matthew 25. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will print out this prayer and picture and put them by my bed so that I can say it every night in hopes of memorizing it. I may get down on my knees to pray daily, but have never attempted prayer in a yoga position. Thanks for the suggestion as it may be just what some people need to give new life to their prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your Nine Ways of Prayer positions, but when I saw this Child's Pose, I was reminded of how Muslims assume a prayer position when they pray in unison at their designated times of day. I believe they touch their heads to the ground in similar fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and as you mentioned the times of prayer are designated. I knew a man who kept his little prayer rug with him all the time - even to pulling the car over to the side of the road and getting down onto the ground facing east for the prayer. I must look online to see where the hands are placed at those times. In the Child Pose the hands can be placed behind as shown here or stretched out in front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely picture of Jesus and Mary. They look so happy. I will say this prayer every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I pray this prayer a different line jumps out to please me. Today: "Keep me, guard me." And Mary and Jesus do look happy in this painting from Peru, don't they. Jesus said, "I have come that you may have full joy."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I met you Father Stephen, I never would have given a religious picture a second thought. You have taught me to look for the little details of beauty in these things and to allow them to help me to believe strongly that God is truly with us. It really has changed me and has brought much peace to my life. I am forever grateful that you continue to share your love of Mary with us even though you are far away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What happy thoughts! And isn't it wonderful that the internet can keep us all close when in another sense we are far away from each other. I send a blessing...

    ReplyDelete