Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Lenten Mercy~Meditation: Got Gratitude ~ You've Got The Spiritual Life



My eyes open 4:15 ~ the first prayer ~ thank you !
The moon is full ~ thank you!
It has snowed lightly ~ thank you!
Aware of taking this breath ~ thank you!
This scarf that someone has knitted ~ thank you !

I hear the stream which is rushing ~ thank you!
A small pine branch has fallen on the new snow ~ thank you!
I consciously hold the world's children in my heart ~ thank you!
Another breath ~ thank you!
The sunflower seeds at my feeder keep the chickadees from
  freezing this 12 degree night ~ thank you!

I hear the wind chimes ~ thank you!
The trees appear as great shadows ~ thank you!
Another breath ~ thank you!
The painful winter cracks on the tips of my fingers are healing ~ thank you!
The first candle of the day ~ thank you!

These silent moments ~ thank you!
The warmth of my coat ~ thank you!
These companion-ing dogs ~ thank you!
Water is boiling ~ thank you!
Adding gift-honey to my tea ~ thank you!

Another breath ~ thank you!

10 comments:

  1. Reading Pauca Verba to start my day - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so aware of your surroundings Father. We should all pause to think about these small things that bring us happiness and be thankful. We certainly know how to complain immediately when something goes wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, we are masters of complaint. Something needn't even be wrong for us to complain. It is unbecoming of the Christian and we must resist the negative impulse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I love how you think of even the smallest things which can bring some joy to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can all do this - stop in any given moment: observe, sense, be aware, go inside. Father Gregory Petroff wrote an Akathist titled Glory to God in all Things, while imprisoned in a concentration camp. The lights of the spotlights and street lights of the camp caused him to think of the candles in his church before his arrest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I paid the bills on time.
    A friend calls just to say hello.
    The radio is playing one of my favorite songs.
    I don't need a heavy coat to go outside today.
    Thank you for making me stop and think of these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And I think when we do this periodically we cast a new energy for the next minutes or hours. An attitude of gratitude AA says. "In all things give thanks..." St. Paul says.

      Delete
  7. This just makes me feel good. It is nice to think about the good things instead of the bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we burden our minds and our souls with all "the bad." That can't possibly be God-pleasing.

      Delete
    2. I think we burden our minds and our souls with all "the bad." That can't possibly be God-pleasing.

      Delete