Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, May 26, 2019

In Her Basilica Home ~ The Salus Populi Icon




This photograph is of Pope Francis visiting the side chapel of the Basilica of Saint Mary Major, where the Salus Populi icon of the Mother of God resides. The Pope visits her prior to every trip outside of Rome and then again, upon returning. It is a lovely custom he adheres to. 

Catholics love to decorate. There are dangers. Here, the newly restored icon seems lost in an ocean of carpet swirls, candle sticks and flowers, marble and metal angels. Hmm. I think the Mother of God and her Divine Son would much prefer to be on eye level with us - interfacing - as with the shepherds of Bethlehem and the Magi from the East. 

Christianity is the religion that claims God has a human face, like our own. God meets us first through the meeting of eyes, even before words. And if I am a Christian disciple then this aspect of interface is to be extended. As God looks out at me in Christ, so I am to look out at others, as God's own dear children. It is a summoning to great attention as I see and make eye contact with...

the special needs person who greets me at the door of the "thingdom come" store,
the young fellow behind the deli counter,
the other patients in the doctor's waiting room,

the pharmacist who fills my script,
the stranger at Mass who would like to join me in the pew,
the visiting priest from Africa,

the woman loading groceries into her car next to mine,
the children at the southern border who I see on the news,
the motorists stopped alongside me at the intersection light,

the men who maintain the lawns in this neighborhood (have I ever even waved?)
the women who change adult diapers in the nursing home where I visit,
the others who sit in the Twelve Step circle,

the fellow on the floor of the aisle stocking shelves,
the boy who delivers the pizza,
the others who inhabit this planet in every kind of  variety.