Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Intercessions for the Feast of Christ the King


Christ's Blessing Hand ~ Hagia Sophia

The animals and plants of our planet are rapidly being pushed to the edge by deforestation,/ pollution,/ over-fishing,/ illegal wildlife trade and climate change./ We pray to be smart/ and to learn how to take care./ Human greed needs to be healed./ We pray to the Lord.

As the Jubilee Year and the Liturgical Year come to a close/ we pray for grateful hearts/ able to discern the life-sustaining,/ protective,/ healing/ and merciful presence of God in our own day./ We pray to the Lord.

This Feast of Christ the King,/ we invite and ask for Christ to enter the universe of every human heart and mind./ For the disciples of Jesus to establish and promote Christ's reign of compassion,/ love and justice./ We pray to the Lord.

We ask for the seventeen new cardinals installed in Rome to be pastors and not princes./ We pray for religion where it becomes distorted,/ a scourge upon God's earth/ instead of a blessing./ We pray to the Lord.

For family and friends with whom we gather this holiday week. For those who are away from home by distance or alienation./ For the safety of holiday travelers/ and for anyone who is alone,/ jobless or depressed./ We pray to the Lord.

We pray for persons who are feeling vulnerable these days,/ badly shaken  or in the dark,/ unholy or un-well./ We ask blessings of stability and security for our nation/ in a time of leadership transition./ We pray to the Lord.

Finally we remember those who are fallen asleep in death/ and who have entered God's land of light./ Grant peace to our world,/ wearied and spent by violence and warring./ We pray to the Lord.


4 comments:

  1. I pray that Christ enters my heart. Lately I have this feeling of not doing the things to keep him close and he is slipping farther and farther away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like to remember those who are lonely during the holidays. You don't have to be alone to feel lonely. I encourage the people who read here to volunteer in a food pantry or to bring meals to the elderly if possible. The reward is great. And if you don't have the time or aren't able, please consider donating food to help. Many people are hungry right in our own towns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father, I suffer great anxiety which causes me to unravel at the slightest trigger. I have a constant fear of ending up alone, yet find myself isolated from others because I try to hide from it all. But I keep your weekly intercessions by my bed and pray at night before turning in. I find some steadiness from knowing that there are other people out there that have an awareness for and are praying for those who need it most, and no one is forgotten. Thank you for giving me a sliver of peacefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right: No one is forgotten. You turn your struggle into prayer for the world. Tell me, who am I missing? I'll weave their concerns into these prayers.

    ReplyDelete