Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Intercessions ~ Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time




Pope Francis brings the Year of Mercy to a close next week./ We pray to be a Church that extends to the world/an experience of God's great kindness./ We pray to the Lord.

Election Day is passed./ Now we pray in the United States/ to create a land that pleases God,/ and that we would create that land together/ and for the good of all./ We pray to the Lord.

For the conversion of hearts to the things of peace./ For the little children of the world:/ that they would be fed,/ housed,/ clothed,/ protected and loved./ We pray to the Lord.

Give strength and healing to those who suffer addictions,/ where marriages are in trouble/ where refugees and exiles look for safety and security./ We pray to the Lord.

We pray for those who live in pain and sickness./ For those whose minds are sick with negative or harmful thoughts./ And for the healing of those who are fearful or angry./ We pray to the Lord.

As nature shuts down in our hemisphere for its winter rest,/ we pray to enter our own inner room/ where we may know God in stillness./ And make us generous in helping those who suffer in the cold time./ We pray to the Lord.

Restore hope and joy to those who grieve over painful losses./ And to those who have died,/ give the delight of encountering Jesus in his welcome./ We pray to the Lord.

4 comments:

  1. The election is over and now there is rioting in the streets. Half the population wasn't going to get the person they wanted, and we have to accept that and move on, in as much unity as we can muster. Instead of expressing fear, we should stand up strong together, and defend our rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone said to me a week ago, "In another couple of days it will all be over." I said, "No it won't. I'm afraid it will all just be starting." And yes, here we are with riots, burnings, injuries. I'm afraid the nation has been drinking poison for the last 10 years or so. We are now toxic. A lot of people have a lot of soul-searching to do for the last 19 months. If they are even capable of that. I was in a store yesterday that had Christmas displays up already. Usually that annoys me, but not this year. I thought: "How this nation needs Christmas this year."

      Delete
  2. You always give hope when there is despair. I always look forward to knowing God better as my spiritual life grows here. I look at Pauca Verba as online course in Faith Journey. I hope I pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These weekly intercessions are at the heart of my prayer as a priest. I would recommend it for all priests: break with the pre-fab book-prayers and compose your own for your parish - growing out of your own aware heart. A weekly spiritual gift to your people. Sometimes I feel despair breathing around me - lurking nearby to take me down. Preparing these intercessions answers that and pulls hope up and out of me. Thanks for joining the prayer!

    ReplyDelete