Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Intercessions ~ Seventh Sunday of Easter

Normandy, France ~ American Cemetery

Amid the growing trend of populist nationalism,/ Pope Francis warns of the virus of polarization and hostility in the Church and around the world./ We ask for the Spirit-Gifts of healing and unity./ We pray to the Lord.

It is Memorial Day weekend./ We pray for all who have died in the country's many wars./ Give us insight/ and the generous will to create a peaceful world./ We pray to the Lord.

In these spring days of lengthening and strengthening light,/ we ask for that heavenly light which leads us to see clearly the value and dignity of each human person./ We pray to the Lord.

As our hemisphere greens and flowers,/ we pray to be good stewards of the paradise God has given as our home./ Heal us of the exploitation and wasteful greed that destroys./ We pray to the Lord.

As the Muslim holy month of Ramadan begins,/ we pray for its themes to be shared and felt around the world:/ soul-purification,/ spiritual elevation,/ charity and prayer./ We pray to the Lord.

In Manchester and in Cairo,/ terrorist attacks have left dozens dead and injured/ including many children and young people./ Comfort those who are traumatized,/ saddened and afraid./ Bless those who continue to help and restore./ We pray to the Lord.


4 comments:

  1. Memorial Day is for those who sacrifed their lives, many of whom did not choose to serve, but did so out of duty. And so many young lives lost and remembered by only their families. When I see the names of those who died in war listed on any National memorial, I am filled with emotion and moved to tears. I pray they didn't die in vain, yet we continue to send our men and women to neverending wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect most countries have their own "Memorial Day" - you'd think we'd have learned by now. Year ago I was able to visit this American Cemetery at Normandy. It contains the 10,000 or so American soldiers who died on D-Day alone. Many more names of those whose bodies were lost and never recovered are listed at a memorial in the cemetery as well. In a world full of shocks - this cemetery still has that power. Quick calculations tell of how young they were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And for those lives forever changed by the loss of their loved ones. Thank you Father for being there to remind us of the world happenings. I watch the news and am often horrified, but these prayers keep me guided as to what is more important to focus on. Praying for other people reminds me to remember that God is there for me .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be a monk when I was a boy. It probably wouldn't have worked out for me because I don't do well with being cold and have never been good at fasting. I should add being quiet is sometimes hard for me - inside noise. But writing these prayers each week wells up out of that monastic lean - the monk who is awake at night praying for the world. I'm glad you've found the Thursday prayers.

    ReplyDelete