Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Intercessions ~ Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Ash Wednesday ~ February 10


Ashes are called the poor man's fertilizer./ We pray this Lent that goodness,/ mercy and compassion would grow in us./ That we would be fruitful in kindness./ We pray to the Lord.

Wars are conceived in wounded human hearts./ We pray to become adept at dialogue/ and the resolution of the problems which cause us to prepare for and enact wars./ We pray to the Lord.

Pope Francis begins a week long journey to Mexico next Friday./ We pray for his safety as he will visit particularly dangerous places./ And that his presence will instill hope and transformation./ We pray to the Lord.

Give new strength to those who parent babies and sick children./ Bless those who never get a vacation or a break,/ whose money comes up short,/ whose work is tedious or dangerous./ We pray to the Lord.

Reassure those who are struggling with prayer,/ who are filled with doubts,/ who don't feel God's presence,/ who through great difficulty are trying to hold onto faith./ We pray to the Lord.

Guide and renew those who work in prisons,/ hospitals,/ nursing homes and hospices./ Take care of the sick/ especially those who are failed by injustice and are left untended./ We pray to the Lord.

And as we set out towards Easter,/ give to all the dead/ the gift of life won for us in Christ's bright rising./ We pray to the Lord.






5 comments:

  1. For hope and transformation. I pray to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be adept in dialogue! That's a great petition for me and the work I do. I will share this prayer petition with my co-workers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dialogue requires intelligence, willingness, patience and creativity. God bless your efforts! Brother Roger of Taize said that in dialogue we must first learn the conceptual language of the other, otherwise we are talking past each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many people, including myself, who struggle with prayer and their faith. Self doubt is a daily experience. Praying that God's presence will be felt. I feel it here more than anywhere else so I hope that our prayers are magnified together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Self doubt! I grew up as a boy believing that God was always at least a little disappointed in me. I have no recollection of ever feeling that I was a source of joy for God. Sin was seemingly everywhere...."and to avoid the near occasions of sin." I don't believe that any more, but I certainly know what it feels like. It made for a joyless spiritual life and is simply not true. Be encouraged - how pleased God is even for your desire to pray!

    ReplyDelete