Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Intercessions ~ Third Sunday in Lent


" A man had a fig tree..." Luke 13

It is Lent as Spring draws near./ Give us the sustaining grace we need/ not only to survive the upheavals/ but to grow./ Bless those who are despairing./ We pray to the Lord.

Biblically/ the  fig tree is a symbol of the quiet,/ safe and peaceful life./ We pray for those who feel none of this,/ but only upset,/ discord and insecurity./ We pray to the Lord. 

These are days of tremendous and bitter divisions./ Guide this land which calls itself exceptional/ along the path of civility,/ hospitality,/ kindness,/ peaceable justice and love./ We pray to the Lord.

There can be no real renewal of the Church without first a renewal of the clergy./ Give humility to the young priests,/ life and spirit to the demoralized and saddened priests,/ health and joy to the sick priests./ We pray to the Lord. 

In prayerful solidarity/ we pray for those who are hungry,/ terrified,/ up against every kind of obstacle,/ excluded,/ cast away or imprisoned./ We pray to the Lord. 

The new month of March begins on Tuesday./ We pray for those who celebrate birthdays,/ anniversaries and other days of remembrance,/ asking gifts of health and peace./ We pray to the Lord. 

And we pray gifts of life and peace for those who have died,/ mindful of those around the world who have died in wars,/ gun violence,/ or by hunger or neglect./ And for those who live in sorrow for the dead./ We pray to the Lord.


7 comments:

  1. I am glad to see this posted so early. Your thoughtful intercessions keep me reminded of all friends and family who are suffering and struggling. Those around the world who I don't have a clue on how they live or die. These intercessions give me a pause of humility and the grace for sheer thankfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Father, your Intercessions always point us in a direction. I like to think of it as my prayer path for the week. Without them, I might wander aimlessly in my thoughts. I have been following your posts for quite awhile now and you never miss a beat. I can feel the compassion in your writing, and also in your thoughtful responses to our comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think of all those in need because of poverty, abuse, and war. It is nice to think simply of those who are unable to live a peaceful life. So many people live in hidden terror, unable to experience soulful rest. Thank you for adding this intention to this week's Intercessions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read that taking even a few minutes to pray each day will strengthen our relationship with God. This will help us change our loves for the better. So every week I take one of these Intercessions each day and spend a few moments in thought with it. They feed my faith and keep it alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing everyday. I don't always get to it but am afforded a length of prayer time that I can sit with a couple readings at a time and pray and sit in Gods prescence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't plan it that way - that there are always seven intercessions, but it works out nicely. I'm glad for your creative approach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't plan it that way - that there are always seven intercessions, but it works out nicely. I'm glad for your creative approach!

    ReplyDelete