Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Lenten Mercy ~ Meditation: The Peace of Wild Things



The Peace of Wild Things

When the despair for the world grows in me
and I awake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake rests
in his beauty on the water,
and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with the forethought of grief.
I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world,
and am free.

Wendell Berry

7 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful poem. Thanks for bringing some peace a serenity to my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we do need to stop and appreciate the gifts that God has given to us. So that we can breathe easier knowING that he is there always loving us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love this blog. I would never think to look for a beautiful poem to reflect on, or to find a prayer or a bible passage to ponder. But Father Stephen, you bring then to us and always get us to think about the importance of the things that keep us grounded in our faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The author recognizes that human life is chaotic and dangerous. He is worried about what is yet to happen. To avoid sinking into despair, he seeks the natural world. There is peacefulness in nature. Since animals and birds do not experience life as a burden he wants to share in the way that they live. The grace of this world that sets him free. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And sometimes these lovely things to share find their way to me - I'm not even looking. We could all write out "go to" poem when awakened at 3 a.m. When I can't sleep at two or three in the morning I like to remember that Carthusian monks are in chapel at that time, singing psalms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And sometimes these lovely things to share find their way to me - I'm not even looking. We could all write out "go to" poem when awakened at 3 a.m. When I can't sleep at two or three in the morning I like to remember that Carthusian monks are in chapel at that time, singing psalms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found Wendell Berry's poem so beautiful, I decided to find out about him. A poet, farmer, writer, activist academic. A man of integrity and deeply American. Also, a friend of Thomas Merton. I am anxious to read one of his many books. Thank you for picking him for your post.

    ReplyDelete