Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation...




Alleluia!
Praise the Lord, all nations,
extol him, all peoples,
for his faithful love is strong.
and his constancy never-ending.

That's all there is to Psalm 117 - just two verses. "If you've got gratitude, you've got the whole of the spiritual life." We complicate it of course, but really all we need to do is to strive after an ever-deepening gratitude.

I've heard there are Orthodox Jews who practice One hundred blessings a day. We know the little formula at Mass (borrowed from Judaism): "Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation, through your goodness..."

And we can take that invitation to conscious gratitude with us all day, beyond the bread and the wine:

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation, through your goodness there is:

my first conscious breaths of the day,
that my heart beat through the night,
these morning meds,
this glass of water,
my shower and my teeth (real or false)
my morning coffee,
that I was taught how to read,
this Gospel page,
this technology by which I communicate,
the smell of just cut grass coming through the window,
and the morning fog,
the person who crafted my eye glasses,
the sound of summer insects,
and the music of birds,
that I will see friends today...

There's 15 right there. We get the idea. Carry on...!

12 comments:

  1. I am thankful that I can start my day with these posts. They keep my world in check and my mind more stable. God provides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it keeps MY mind in check creating them. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. There is the job that I have that provides for my family, even though I might complain. Forgive me Lord for my ungratefulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we become conscious/aware of some place in our lives that needs changing, we should spend about 15 seconds lamenting and repenting - then get on with the change. It's he growth-change that is God-pleasing more than anything.

      Delete
  3. I get the idea and will keep it going. When you start with the small things it is easy to see how much good there is in our lives. Through your goodness comes the friends I confide in and will love me forever. I couldn't make it through this life without them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be sure: the small things are really the great things. There is a waxy, soft pink, tuber rose blooming in front of the chapel here. Its flowers are trumpet shaped and fluted on the edges. The fragrance is intense and lovely. Yet the little bulb from which it grew is half the size of a walnut. The little things are the great things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a "Happy Post". Grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is happiness to be found if we look. Your post makes me happy also. Thankful and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a happy start to my day with this Greek Coffee Mug: Mother of God of the Protecting Veil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever stop to think that there are people who the Lord may only be able to reach through you Father? You share the good news and off the invitation for us to share our faith with one another. A true evangelist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I'm very obtuse (a thick head) too and pray (really pray) that Jesus will show me where I still have growing up to do. Jesus wants to "grow us up" a priest-friend used to say to me. And I am so happy for every spiritual connection we make here with folks we've perhaps never even met before. That's so wonderful. P.S. Are you lucky-blessed to have been given the name "Maria".

    ReplyDelete