Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Friday, September 23, 2016

When Feeling Troubled


Christ-Teacher in Glory

This prayer comes to us from the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom. The monastic community of Bethlehem prays the blessing at the end of Morning and Evening Prayer. We might use it for ourselves and our families when feeling burdened, tired, heart-broken, sad or anxious. We might also pray the blessing over the world when we hear troubling news from far away and we don't know what else to do.


O Christ our true God, risen from the dead,
through the prayer of your all-holy and all-Immaculate Mother,
elevated soul and body
into the Glory of the Three Divine Persons,
by the power of your glorious and life-giving Cross,
by the protection of the holy Angels and Archangels,
through the prayer of the holy prophet
John the Baptist the Forerunner,
of Saint Joseph,
of the holy apostles,
of the martyrs,
of the holy monks and nuns,
be pleased to pour down your mercy upon us and save us,
for you are Good and You love mankind. Amen.

8 comments:

  1. me. They keep me focused and I know that I am not the only one who looks for then. There is comfort in knowing that other people turn to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was told a long while ago that there is a bishop in Vietnam and a priest in Ireland who use the intercessions for their community Mass each Sunday. I put them up on Thursday so folks have time to reflect on them in anticipation of Sunday. Some people look at them while waiting for Mass to start. It's very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When and where all other reasons and arguments fail, we tend to turn to God and plead for mercy and protection from evil. We are imbeciles and it is a wonder He doesn't give up on us and left us to render ourselves extinct already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't know. Lot's of people of good mind and heart care deeply about the world in its troubles, sorrows and pain. I can't do anything for the poor Syrian people trapped in the horror of their civil war - except - I can keep them in mind often, have a care about them and offer my prayer - which is essentially the expression of my powerlessness. The "imbecility" is that we sell horrible weapons to people who do abhorrent things with them, that we fail so many of the world's poorest and most desperate children while we entertain ourselves into numbness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually have trouble with priests. I feel like everything is forced and phony. That they say one thing, but think another. It is good enough for you to believe something, to learn a lesson, to confess your sins and they are above it all. But I truly think that you believe in what you are doing here. That you say what you feel hope that we can all be better people together. I say Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clericalism is a very great sin and a poison in the Church. It is when the priest or deacon thinks the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to him. Clericalism is when the priest forgets what is maybe the most important piece of what you've said here: "...be a better people together." Emphasis on the word "together." Bless your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is a journey and we don't always know where we are headed. In these last few days I fear the whole trip has been pointless and I am left feeling empty and afraid. I expect I need to pick myself up and take a deep breath and move forward, hoping it is in the right direction. I didn't foresee my journey in faith taking this turn and having to go it alone. Thanks for all you did to get me this far Father Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go back in the archive here to the post on February 21, 2015. "When we feel our lives are not pleasing..." I think the priest's word-image teaches us something very important about God and us. And the photo on top too! O my!

    ReplyDelete