Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross




Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered; and let those who hate Him flee from His face. As smoke vanishes, let them vanish, and as wax melts from the presence of fire, so let the demons perish from the presence of those who love God and who sign themselves with the Sign of the Cross and say with gladness: Hail, most precious and life-giving Cross of the Lord, for You drive away the demons by the power of our Lord Jesus Christ Who was crucified on thee, went down to hell and trampled on the power of the devil, and gave us thee, His honorable Cross, for driving away all enemies. O most precious and life-giving Cross of the Lord, help me with our holy Lady, the Virgin Mother of God, and with all the saints throughout the ages. Amen

Prayer to the Lord's Holy Cross of Saint Gregory Palamas (1296-1357) Monk, Theologian and Archbishop of Thessalonica. Father Kresk suggests praying this prayer before traveling and when we know we will be meeting persons who can be dangerous or difficult. 

5 comments:

  1. People bless themselves wit the sign of the Cross all the time. In prayer, when approaching an anxiety, even ball players at bat or before a big play. I often wonder how many of us stop to think what we are doing. It almost becomes reflexive and not contemplative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely explanation of the Sign of the Cross for children in France. I touch my forehead as if to tap on my mind to remember the things of God. I tap my heart as if to wake it up to love. I tap my left and right shoulders to remember prayerfully those who I encounter around me. I'd add to left and right - even to encircling the planet.

      Delete
  2. I once saw a beautiful explanation of how to draw the Cross. Draw an I and then cross it out. As we make the sign, we first draw a vertical stroke, as if to say to God, "Lord, here am I." Then we cancel it with a horizontal stroke, as if to say, "Help me, Lord, to abandon my self-centeredness and self-will, and to make you the center of my life instead. Fix all my attention and all my desire on you, Lord, that I may forget my self, cancel my self, abandon myself completely to your love and service." I try to remember this always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do a great blog Fr. Stephen! I wonder if you realize how much we love it. Your words have taken root in us and I can't help but smile when I think of you standing at the pulpit. excited to give your homilies. I looked forward to them every week because I knew there would be something to listen to and learn from. Now I can read your thoughts here and it's as though I'm listening again. A wonderful vehicle for keeping the thoughts flowing to us.

    ReplyDelete