Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Memorare! Remember!

Znamenie Mother of God

Lest we forget its beauty, I'm posting this much-loved prayer: The Memorare. Perhaps it will be a first encounter for some. There's a benefit to knowing at least a few prayers by heart, serving as a jump-start when we're feeling empty. Pray this prayer everyday for a week and it will spring up spontaneously from deep inside when things seem impossible or all uphill.

But I'm putting the prayer out there alongside this flame-like icon of the Mother of God of the Sign. Mary's head is large as she perceives the fullness of God's presence while holding all our concerns in mind. Her prayer is like fire, standing with angels. Her open arms and hands form a chalice or cup waiting to be filled with our every concern. She is first disciple here - imaging a life which has Christ at the center.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known
that anyone who fled to your protection,
  implored your help
  or sought your intercession
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence,
I fly unto you,
  O virgin of virgins, my mother.
To you do I come,
before you I stand,
  sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your clemency hear and answer me.
Amen