Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

April's Open Window




This painting (of another open window), is by the contemporary Russian artist, Sergey Ivanovich Smirnov (+2006) titled Warm April. Smirnov painted this window many times: different season, different time of day, slightly different angle, with a bowl or table or plant nearby, window open, window closed. But here, he has even told us it is a lovely day in April. The tree has yet to leaf-out. The last bit of snow on the church roof is receding.

An artist is an explorer. Am I? This may mean, "I am so looking forward to this summer's first-time trip to Italy." Or it may mean, I am not afraid of the struggle that comes with self-knowledge. Or it may mean, I read outside my comfort zone. Or it it may mean, I listen well in conversation - my interaction is not a collection of knee-jerked, partisan answers. 

Remember the 1969 Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel hit song, The Boxer: "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."  Think American politics these days!

Smirnov isn't bored with or afraid of the different angle. Indeed, he seems eager to look at something from this way, then that. The opened window lets in something new. Jesus was a master in this regard: Taking something ordinary and everyday he'd say, "The Kingdom of God is like..." then offer a new insight into God's rule, God's presence. Always with a twist and even some humor.

  • I mean really: the gospel guy who works an hour gets the same pay as the  guy who worked in the sun for the entire day!?  
  • I mean really: a well-off shepherd with one hundred sheep abandons the ninety nine and goes off recklessly searching for the foolish one that wandered off!?
  • I mean really: a woman turns the house upside down and inside out looking for a penny!?

Jesus is an artist-explorer. I may sit by Smirnov's open window and ask, Am I? Or do I only hear what I want to hear and disregard the rest?