Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring Growth Starts In The Low Place



Here are some low-to-the-ground tulip shoots breaking through frosty ground. There's a Tibetan saying:  When the spring bloom comes, where does it start? Does it start on the hilltops or down in the valleys first? Growth begins first in the low places.  

The low places. Humility comes from the Latin humus: soil or good earth. It doesn't mean we're dirt but:

  • Stay realistic about yourself. 
  • Come down to earth about yourself. 
  • Always remain a student. 
  • My life is on loan to me. 
  • I am not indispensable; I can be replaced.

"Oh, you're special!"  No, I'm not; I'm like everyone else. But while I'm not special, I am needed, and God has given me all I have to make my contribution.  I have a role to play, and only I can play it. The Down Syndrome child who gives smiles and hugs all day is giving what he/she has to give, and it is of great value in an often scowling world of loneliness and alienation.

There was a piece on the morning news about two little elementary school girls who throw birthday parties for kids who never get a party.  While excitedly tearing open boxes of party supplies one said, "I think not having a birthday party means you are not loved." Everyone has a contribution to make. Humility is knowing it, and doing something about it.