Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

In the Lenten Spring ~ Mother of God, Enlightener of Minds



The spring days are lengthening. Since the Winter Solstice the daylight has increased by over two hours and will continue to do so until the middle of June (the Summer Solstice). Here is an icon of the Mother of God whose title invites us to pray about inner light: Mother of God ~ Enlightener of Minds. 

The literature proposes the Enlightener of Minds be invoked for those with weak, disordered or unstable minds, or that we might improve our study, classroom attention or test-taking skills, or know how to make a right decision to solve a problem. 

But I would suggest there is something more fundamental going on here for anyone who has set out to walk the path of Christian discipleship. It's my mind (your mind) that is in need of enlightenment - an enlightenment that will lead me to possessing a Christ-mind - which is an evolved, en-spirited, renewed, changed mind.


  • From thinking they ought to do it my way - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From thinking I understand why he is that way - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From thinking there is only one way - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From so much disapproval - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From the curse of negativity and self pity - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From being blind to the people closest to me - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From racist, prejudicial, fearful, stereotypical assessments of people - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From thinking I have to comment on everything - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From defensive, protectionist thinking - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • From I can't be bothered or That's far away thinking - enlighten me, O Lady.
  • Enlighten me, O Lady, what Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid, means. Jn 14:27
  • Enlighten me, O Lady, what Love one another as I have loved you, means. Jn 15:12
  • Enlighten me, O Lady, what As you wish that people would do to you, do so to them, means. Lk 6:31
  • Enlighten me, O Lady, what Whoever does the will of God is my brother, my sister, and mother, means. Mk 3:35
  • Enlighten me, O Lady, what For God so loved the world, means. Jn 3:16