Pauca Verba is Latin for A Few Words.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

For the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes



THE VIRGIN MARY, standing in a cave-like place along the River Gave at Lourdes, France, appeared to Bernadette Soubirous eighteen times in 1858.


The grotto itself resembles a great ear: that I would be silent, listening to and hearing the Words of Jesus and the voices of others. 

The Virgin Mary smiled, perhaps even more than she spoke: heaven smiles on us, maternally, even in our disarray and error.

That when Bernadette made the Sign of the Cross at Lourdes, it is said her gesture had the power to convert a hardened heart: that I would tap my forehead as if to remember the things of God - knock at the door of my heart to awaken love - touch my left and right shoulders, a kind of stretching out to those on either side of me throughout the day.

Accompanying the photos below from Lourdes is the Hail Mary sung by Olga Szyrowa in Latin (Ave Maria) - a very beautiful and contemporary setting composed by Michal Lorenc.








10 comments:

  1. Inspiring music and a beautiful selection of pictures from this sacred place. A very emotional rendition of the Ave Maria that draws you in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very moving post. Lourdes is the place where Mary smiled down on Bernadette, teaching us that God is watching out for even the meekest of his children.This message reaches deep into the soul. Wonderfully done Father!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I am in awe of the gentle beauty conveyed by your posts. You know how to make God's presence seem so real to me. A feeling lost in other venues of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect way to remember Our Lady on this Feast Day. Thank you. I am always so grateful to see things in a new light. Do you take any of these pictures on your pilgrimage? They show Lourdes from many points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped taking photographs on trips and pilgrimages years ago because I discovered that postcard pictures are better than anything I could produce. I'm glad I did. Now I have piles of postcards of French Cathedrals, Italian churches, Irish monasteries....

    ReplyDelete
  6. St. Bernadette once said of the spring she discovered that “one must have faith and pray.” Let us be inspired to take this approach of faith, hope and love! That we may find spiritual healing in the knowledge that the Blessed Virgin has appeared to the least of us, to spread blessings from heaven above. It is miraculous to me that the enlightened voices were heard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a teenager, I went to see the incorrupt body of St Bernadette in France. The sisters were preparing her casket and they had put her incorrupt body in a chair. Pilgrims were giving them rosaries to put in her hand which they folded over the rosary.. I can never forget that image. It brought home to me the miracle that was St Bernadette's vision of the Mother of God. Her incorrupt body was the link with that Immaculate Mother. It still takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YIKES! For me, the powerful link was kneeling on the exact spot where Bernadette knelt in the grotto. There is a tile marker on the floor indicating where she knelt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you both for sharing your remembrances . To be so open to the connection between heaven and earth. I hope to be blessed with such an experience at some point in my life. You video is beautiful. Thank you for bringing this sense of spirituality to us.

    ReplyDelete